Recipe courtesy of Prevention
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch + ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups 1 percent milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 3 strips turkey bacon, chopped and cooked until crisp
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Pierce the potatoes several times with a fork. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove and leave the oven on.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the flour, nutmeg, and the pinch of salt. Gradually whisk in 1 cup of the milk until the flour dissolves. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese until smooth. Set aside.
4. Holding the potatoes with an oven mitt, cut in half lengthwise. Scoop the flesh out into a bowl, leaving a ¼” shell. Place the shells on a baking sheet. Mash the flesh with a potato masher.
5. Stir in the remaining 2/3 cup milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth. Spoon the potato mixture into the shells. Top with the broccoli, bacon, and cheese sauce. Bake for 10 minutes, or until heated through.
Makes 8 Servings